Monday, January 28, 2013

Chasing Unicorns

If you set yourself a goal, what was your goal & at what point did you set it?
When I started out, I set my goal to hit the gold cap.  It seems, however, that I’ve hit a brick wall rather than thet gold cap.  That’s probably because I haven’t had the discipline to not spend the money I’m earning.
About every week to two weeks, I end up hitting up the auction house for any rare pets that I don’t already have.  I’m excusing this as a long term investment.  What I mean by that is that after I reach the pet achievements, I can resell these and (hopefully) make a profit on them- especially if they’re trained up to level 25.
With that, I’ll go ahead and address day 8’s question, no, I haven’t reached my goal yet and I am still working towards it.
My strategy at this point is to train my battle pets up to level 25 so that I can make the pet market viable again.  Pre-MoP, it was working well for me and when pets went account wide it crashed just as I expected.  The difficult part of the pet market now is grinding the extremely rare pets or at least finding them cheap enough on the AH to flip them.
In addition to that, I’m focusing on flipping high level items where I can make a few thousand gold at a time.  I figure it’s better to make a lot of money off as few auctions as possible rather than handling a ton of auctions for very little profit.
I think there is something to be said for selling in bulk, though.  It works for Sam’s Club and Costco, why wouldn’t it work for WoW?  I just choose not to make my money this way.  I think of myself more like Nordstrom’s than Wal-Mart.  I’d rather deal in low volume with high profits.
The main reason I work this way is because I am a heavy remote auction house user.  If I’m away from the game (watching TV at home, waiting for a table at a restaurant, waiting on my wife to get back from the restroom, waiting on another pointless business meeting to start, etc), I’m usually buying and flipping on the RAH.  Since the RAH is limited in the number of transactions you can conduct everyday and it’s tedious to repost enough auctions to reach the limit as it is, I’d rather do business my way.  This could also be part of the reason I’ve hit a wall.
So, my goal remains to get to the fabled gold-cap if one truly exists.  I may be just chasing a unicorn though.

No comments:

Post a Comment